The R2 Standard – establishes responsible recycling practices for the recycling of electronics globally. By certifying to this standard through an accredited third-party Certification Body, electronics recyclers can help prospective purchasers of their services make informed decisions and have increased confidence that used and end-of-life electronic equipment are managed in an environmentally responsible manner, protective of the health and safety of workers and the public, and that all data on all media devices is secure until destroyed.
Thus, certification to R2 allows electronics recyclers to highlight their value to customers, employees, their community and the public.
R2 is not intended to be an EH&S Management System by itself. R2 requires a company to be certified to ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 OR to RIOS (Recycling Industry Operating Standard).
Benefits to R2 Certification
- Promotes safe and effective recovery and reuse of electronic equipment
- Guards downstream control of the recycling chain
- Minimizes environmental and public health risks
- Demonstrates compliance with domestic and international laws
- Minimizes liability and encourages reduced insurance costs for recyclers
- Assists original equipment manufacturers (OEM’s) with due diligence for their end-of-life electronics
- Instills public confidence through certified third party review
The current version of R2 is R2:2013 with an expected update called R2v3 in late 2019. Please follow us on social media as we will communicate regularly about this update!