We have been expecting an update to the R2 standard for a little while now, since the last update was done in 2013. The current standard has been in place for 5 years, and with the changes in technology that have occurred in that time, it’s been agreed that it’s time for an update.
What’s New with R2?
The new standard will be known as R2v3, and is currently in the public comment phase. The proposed changes to the existing standard were put together by SERI (Sustainable Electronics Recycling International), the governing body of the standard and the TAC (Technical Advisory Committee), a group that represents recyclers, auditors and certifying bodies, manufacturers and retailers, customers of R2 facilities, environmental agencies and advocates and others in the industry.
As mentioned, R2v3 is in the public comment phase. The public is encouraged to review the draft — download it here — and submit comments and suggestions within the 45 day public comment window. All comments will be considered by the TAC. Multiple public comment periods may be initiated as the TAC makes additional changes to the R2v3 draft.
The final version of the R2v3 Standard is expected to be completed and approved in late 2019.
R2 & R2v3 Differences
- Most of the existing requirements in R2:2013 remain.
- Some requirements have been clarified to achieve more consistent outcomes.
- Requirements in key areas have been strengthened – especially in the areas of data protection; reuse/repair; managing the flow of material through the downstream; and environmental, health and safety.
- 13 Provisions in R2:2013 reorganized into 10 Core Requirements.
- Reorganization better reflects how requirements are implemented and mirrors the flow of materials through the reuse-recycling process.
What’s Next for R2 Standards?
SERI is committed to hearing feedback from stakeholders so you are encouraged to make your voice heard! We expect a final version of R2v3 by the end of 2019. At that point, it is anticipated to be three (3) years to audit and certify to R2v3. Visit SERI’s website for information and follow us on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn for continued updates on R2v3.
Want to Learn More?
Join our free 45 minute webinar on Tuesday May 14, 2019 at 2 PM (Eastern). Introducing R2v3: An Overview of the Expected Updates, led by Scott Jones, a member of the R2 Technical Advisory Committee and President of Glacier Consulting. He will review the highlights of how the next version of R2v3 will differ from R2:2013 and what is most important for recyclers.