ISO 9001 Cost
WHAT INFLUENCES THE COST OF ISO 9001 CERTIFICATION?
Determining the precise cost of ISO 9001 certification can be a challenging endeavor. It predominantly hinges on various factors unique to each organization and its existing quality management systems. The total cost of ISO 9001 certification encompasses fees paid to the certifying body for auditing and certification, as well as the expenses incurred by your company to meet the stringent requirements of the ISO standard. The following factors significantly impact ISO 9001 certification costs:
1. Location of the ISO 9001 Organization
The geographical location of your ISO 9001 consultant can markedly affect the overall certification cost. Typically, ISO consultants in the United States command higher fees compared to their counterparts in countries like India. For instance, an ISO 9001 consultant operating in New York City may charge anywhere from $2,000 to $5,000 per ISO 9001 certification project. Contact Glacier Consulting for more details about location and their charges.
2. Size and Complexity of Your Organization
The size and complexity of your organization’s ISO 9001 system also play a pivotal role in determining certification costs. Certifying a large global corporation with multiple plants and locations presents more intricate challenges than certifying a small local business. Consequently, ISO consultants tend to charge higher fees for larger organizations.
3. Experience of ISO 9001 Consultants
The fees of ISO 9001 consultants are closely tied to their level of experience. Generally, certification costs are higher when working with seasoned ISO 9001 consultants compared to less-experienced ones. The certification cost may also fluctuate depending on a consultant’s expertise in ISO management system assessments, ISO 9001 audits, and ISO 9001 certification.
OTHER ISO 9001 RESOURCES
4. Number of ISO 9001 Experts Required
The hourly rates of ISO 9001 consultants correlate with the number of ISO experts needed for a project. Unquestionably, the more ISO 9001 consultants required, the higher the certification cost.
5. Number of Locations to Certify
The total number of ISO 9001 locations you intend to certify also has a bearing on the certification cost. For extensive organizations, ISO consultants typically charge between $1,000 and $2,000 for ISO 9001 certification consulting services per ISO location.
6. Volume of ISO Documentation
The ISO review process necessitates the revision of ISO 9001 documents compliance with ISO 9001 standard requirements. Certification costs in the USA can escalate if ISO consultants are tasked with reviewing extensive volumes of ISO documents.
Determining the Cost of ISO System Development
The investment required for the development of an ISO system is unique to each organization and hinges on a variety of factors:
- Business Size
- Range and Quantity of Services
- Process Complexity
- Number of Office Locations
This Cost Encompasses the Following Key Components
- An evaluation of your business processes in alignment with the ISO 9001 Standard.
- Identification and rectification of any identified gaps.
- The creation of a comprehensive Quality Management System.
- Expert guidance during the System’s implementation phase.
- An internal audit of your system, conducted prior to seeking certification.
- Addressing and resolving any concerns raised by the certification body.
Frequently Asked Question
ISO certification follows the same process, regardless of the ISO standard you are seeking:
- Establish, implement and verify your ISO management system
- Stage 1 audit – Documentation Review
- Stage 2 audit – Full system audit
- Closure of any findings
The standards that best suit your company vary by the industry you are in. In order to identify the standards that will provide your company with the greatest benefits, we recommend the following:
- Talk to your customers – many of them may require certain ISO standards.
- Evaluate your companies risks – see where your companies great liabilities are what needs to be controlled (e.g. quality, environmental aspects, health & safety hazards, IT security, etc.).
- Be proactive and identify new business opportunities – evaluate new areas / industries you want to grow your business. Often times, these new industries may require some sort of certification in order to enter. Certification takes time, so being proactive and having the certifications before bidding on projects can put you ahead of your competition.
The time to become ISO certified really depends on a few different factors:
- The resources you have available to support the ISO process
- Your own internal timeframe that you need / want to be certified by
- The standard’s requirement for how much evidence you need to support certification
Certification requires you to show through objective evidence that you have an effective ISO management system in place. In order to do this, you need to show that you have sufficient evidence available to support this claim. At a minimum, most standards will require 3 months of evidence of implementing your management system in order to be certified.
Some standards, such as IATF 16949, may require a minimum of one year of evidence to support certification.
The cost for certification can vary greatly from one company to another. There are typically several factors that go into the costs for certification:
- Certification body fees
- Certification body audit day rates
- Auditor travel costs
- Standard license fees (e.g. R2, RIOS, eStewards license fees)
- Consulting Fees
Audit time and consulting time is typically based on the following factors:
- Number of employees
- Number of processes and the risks associated with those processes
- Number of locations
We have the experience to help you navigate the certification body costs and possible discounts they can offer.
ISO certification shows your customers that you follow industry best practices and that your business is well structured and ready for growth.
Each ISO standard has its own benefits, for example:
- ISO 9001 – Ensures you provide your customers with a quality product or service
- ISO 27001 – Protects your information, data and reputation
- ISO 14001 – Reduces your environmental impact
- ISO 45001 – Protects your workers
- Responsible Recycling (R2) – ensures responsible management of used electronics
Common benefits across all ISO standard include:
- Increased efficiency
- Reduced costs
- Improved customer satisfaction
- More engaged employees
- Reduced risks
- Reduced insurance premiums
- Helps with project bidding
By achieving and maintaining an ISO certification, you are showing your company’s commitment to achieving your objectives, improving your business and increasing the credibility and customer confidence in your product or service.
Yes. We have been providing remote auditing and consulting services for years. We have found remote auditing and consulting to be just as effective as on-site. We use a variety of tools to ensure we are thorough in our remote services, while saving you time and money.
The great thing about working with Glacier consulting is that you don’t need anything in place to get started. We will work with you ever step of the way to ensure you have everything you need to get certified.
Most companies have far more in place than they realize. Just because it may not be documented, doesn’t mean you don’t have processes in place. We will work with your team to improve, streamline and formalize these processes.
One of the most common questions we get is how much time and effort does it take to get and maintain certification. The bulk of the effort should be at the beginning to get your management system established and implemented. To do this, we take what you already do and formalize it to meet the standard requirements. There may be some minor tweaking done, but this typically only improves and streamlines your process.
Once your ISO management system is in place, maintaining it should be as easy as breathing because it should become part of your culture and everyday operations. At the end of the day, you shouldn’t think of it as your ISO system, you should think of it as simply your way of operating your company.
We work with countless ISO standards. We’ve only listed the most common ISO standards typically sought after. We have a diverse team with tremendous knowledge in many of the ISO standards. Contact us and let us know what standard you are interested in. If we don’t offer that service, we can find you someone who can.
We can tailor a service specific to your needs to help you along your ISO journey. We can provide basic guidance to full “White Glove” support. If it’s business or ISO related, we’ve got you covered. A few of our services include:
- General ISO Consulting
- Documentation Prep
Contact us with any questions you have or for services not listed here.