Energy Management System
What is the purpose of ISO 50001?
- To provide a framework for managing energy performance.
- Provide a systematic approach to set and reach organizational energy use and consumption goals.
- Provide organizations with management strategies to increase energy efficiency, reduce costs and improve energy performance.
- The cornerstone for improving energy performance.
- Energy performance = Measurable results related to energy efficiency, energy use and energy consumption.
Why consider ISO 50001?
- ISO 50001 has been designed solely for the management of energy.
- Energy management is often overlooked with ISO 14001.
- Most companies do not truly understand how much energy they currently use and how much money they can potential save by implementing an EnMS.
- Forces companies to establish baselines and identify areas for significant improvements in energy performance.
- Encourages companies to look into renewable energy sources.
- ISO 50001 intends to help organizations:
- Better manage their existing significant energy uses.
- Promote energy management best practices.
- Evaluate and prioritize the implementation of new energy-efficient technologies or OFIs.
- Integrate an EnMS with other management systems.
- Examples: environmental, health and safety.
Benefits of ISO 50001 Certification
- Realization of energy cost savings
- Maximize the use of energy sources and assets
- Reduced energy consumption
- increased energy efficiency
- increase energy performance
- Reduced environmental impact
- Helps to achieve energy compliance
- Worldwide credibility for energy consciousness.
- Able to be used by small to large organizations across diverse commercial, industrial, and public sectors.
- Improves the ability to set baselines, measure, monitor and report on energy performance