I have been doing internal R2 audits for many years now. In those years I’ve had the opportunity to see lots of companies. Big companies, small companies, companies that run like well-oiled machines and set the standard in their industry, and ragtag companies that do the barest minimum to stay in business.
In my experience, I’ve noticed a handful of things that help me to foresee how successful they will be in implementing and maintaining the R2 environmental standard.
Without further ado, here are 3 things I wish all companies knew (and embraced) about the process:
1. Organization is Key. Standards compliance will be much, much easier in the long run for people that are able to create a system of organization at the very beginning. A few tips:
- Keep your documentation in one place
- Let everyone know where that place is
- Review the documentation regularly
2. R2 Standard Compliance is A Process. As with any standard, R2 standard compliance is not “set it and forget it.” Companies that have the easiest time with their R2 audits and certifications are those that:
- Schedule regular meetings to discuss and plan compliance activities
- Communicate with co-workers to make sure everyone is on the same page
- Keep management updated
3. The More You Know Your Downstream, The Happier You Will Be – To keep your R2 certification, you will need to know what standards your downstream vendors (DSV) maintain. Some tips:
- Ask questions! So you can put together a flow chart to include in your documentation.
- There are some great guides on https://sustainableelectronics.org/implementation-guide-provision-5
Want more? Join our FREE webinar “7 Secrets From An R2 Auditor” on Tues. November 27, 2018 at 2 PM Eastern. Presented by Scott Jones, member of the R2 Technical Advisory Committee, R2 Lead Auditor, and R2 Internal Auditor Trainer.